Skip to main content

Snapshot

It is 3:00 on a Sunday afternoon. I am sitting in the office, and I can hear my boys snoring. Barry in one room and Ledger on the other side of me. Napping away the afternoon. Ledger cried when I put him down for a nap. Big, angry tears. I offered him his stuffed monkey, and he just shoved it away. This is new, he's been a good napper for a while now. But for the last couple of days, whenever we have put him down he's reacted like we suggested he lay down with vipers for a few minutes. Maybe its the runny nose bothering him, or maybe it's a new phase, but either way, we'll eventually come through it. I've been to church, we've all had lunch together and gone to the park. These are the days. The days that will be gone before I know it. The way Ledger laughs and laughs as we swing him at the park. The little dance he does in the bed when we come to get him after a nap. The bounce and reach when the bottle comes out. The smile of pride when he stands up, only barely hanging on to our hands.

When we were bringing him home from the hospital, he started to cry. And to stop him, I started to sing. And it worked! It was probably a coincidence, but my shaky rendition of "you are my sunshine' made him stop crying. And it still works today. It worked at the doctor's office yesterday, and when daddy was changing his diaper this morning. How much longer will the sound of my voice, singing off key, stop him in mid-fuss? I know it won't last forever, but I hope the sound of my singing is always a good memory for him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Kind of Life Do You Want

 What Kind of Life Do You Want: A Midlife Crisis Exercise I want a comfortable life.        I want air-conditioning when it's hot and I want hot water in my shower and I want soft pillows on my bed. I want a life of community.     I want to volunteer at the food pantry and sing in the church choir and serve on a municipal parks board. I want a life of connection.     I want to be a healthy, safe mother to my son and a support to my partner and I want strong relationships with my family of origin. I want a life of wellness.     I want to get enough sleep and eat enough vegetables and drink enough water and move my body in ways that feel good. I want a life of growth.     I want to learn new things and visit new places and learn new skills.

2021 Recap

  In 2021 I ….. worked (a lot) as a librarian and a manager as my workplace went through a number of transitions to move us back towards pre-covid services. For a while A LOT of people yelled at me about masks but it was OVERALL a pretty good year at work.   traveled to Chicago with my husband. got COVID when my child brought it home from school and shared it with his parents. We are all vaccinated so our cases were extremely mild and the biggest stressors were figuring testing and deciding how long to quarantine. went to Houston to celebrate Aunt Patty’s retirement.     hung out with my sister… took Ledger to a baseball game and to play racquetball and to Waco and to downtown Dallas and to school. had a girls weekend in Walnut Springs.   watched my son get Baptized and Confirmed (sobbing).  slept in my office to be on firewatch while the electricity was out at the library!   got a new dishwasher and a new hot water heater!   spent all my leisure time covered in puppies. took my kid to

2021 Goals!

 In 2021:  I would like to continue making food choices that meet my body's needs.  More vegetables and water, less carbs and candy.   About the same amount of tea. I would like to read 100 books! I would like to visit a new state. I would like to go on a real date with my husband once a month. I would like to visit 5 state parks with Ledger. I'd like to spend more time laughing with my son, less time talking AT him. I'd like to spend more time celebrating my gifts, less time worrying. I'd like to spend more time listening, less time talking. I'd like to spend more time reading, less time watching Chopped. Naps and volunteering and engaging with my community.    Hugs and snuggles and long walks with the dogs. No one gets sick, everyone stays happy and engaged at school and work, no one dies.   Let's Go.