Skip to main content

2011 Goals, revisited

My 2011 list was largely a failure. I did not do more than I did. I’m still glad I did it though. I printed the list and hung it in the bathroom, and that really contributed to me not forgetting completely about this by Feburary 1st. It was good to have goals and directions, and I’m definitely planning on making another list for 2012. One that I will hopefully accomplish more fully.

1. Weigh less than 200lbs for the majority of the year, but definitely the last quarter.
Fail. I got down to 203 and then lost my fool mind. I paid attention and worked on it though and am pretty proud of how I did.

2. Give up processed sweets for three months (jan-mar)
partial. I did not have processed sweet for three months, but it was every other month, not three in a row. Very, very good for me and something I’m gonna do again.

3. Eat a vegetable every day.
Fail. I did well for awhile, but fell apart as the year went on. However, glad I did it, I definitely ate more vegetables this year than I have in the past, so YAY.

4. Earn at least 9 college credits.
Partial. I earned four.

5. See at least 2 live theater presentations.
YES! One I completed. Barry took me to see a local college production of Oklahoma, and then we saw Blue Man Group in Vegas. Very happy.

6. Leave the state for vacation.
YES! Went to Vegas for a week with my husband.

7. Wear lipstick at least once a month.
Fail. But I did it several times, and it always made me feel good.

8. Read 50 books. (at least 10 adult, at least 5 "classics")
Partial. I read 95 books, but only 2 classics. (Pride and Prejudice and Candide). Quite a few rereads and several nonfiction.

9. Write in a journal every week. (or here, whatever)
No. Fail. Fail. Fail.

10. Exercise every week. This is not to say that once a week is enough, but I definitely do not want more than a week to go by without some exercise. That is how we get to months without.
Fail.

11. Do 2 5ks.
Partial. I only did one but I’m very proud I went out and did it alone.

12. Learn to ride a bike.
Yes.

13. Organize our digital pictures.
Yes.

14. Host 2 parties at our home.
Not Really. We had people over for the holidays and for ledgers birthday, but did not fulfill the spirit of the goal, which really should have read, “make some friends”

15. Pay off 25% of consumer debt. This does NOT include car, house, and student loan. It does include the bank loan and the credit card debt.
Partial. Technically we did, but we took out a loan for a new roof, took a trip to vegas, and found out we owe the IRS $3000. So the credit cards are lower, but now the car loan and the IRS debt make our total debt greater. Boo.

16. Purchase a laptop with real money, not on credit.
Yes! I bought a tablet with Barry’s midyear bonus. Love.

17. Purchase 2 nice work outfits.
Yes. New work clothes.

18. Do 3 decorative things to our home. Could be paint, curtains, hang something on the walls, etc.
Technically yes, but once again, did not improve my home as much as I wanted.

19. Be kind to my spouse. Not as focused a goal, but definitely worthwhile.
No. We did a little counseling, and we did some date nights, but the net goal of kindness was not achieved throughout the year.

20. Watch Ledger try an organised sport. Doesn't have to succeed or continue, but would like him to try this year.
Yes! Soccer. It was…not good. He was really to young. And I am scarred for life.

21. Take Ledger to an art museum.
Yes! A nice Sunday afternoon at the Kimbell with Aunt Patty and Greg was a worthwhile way to spend some time. Good.

22. Volunteer with Ledger.
No. He was too young for this, but he did witness me volunteering and also helped gather donations for the less fortunate.

23. Grow something.
No. Stupid dead plants.

24. Make something creative.
Yes! I made superhero capes! Which he refuses to wear! But I made them!

25. Hike through River Legacy with my boys.
Yes! And it was hot, and I was miserable and they loved it.

So, eleven out of twenty-five. That’s a failing grade. But I worked on lots of stuff and I worked 40 hours a week, and read books with my son, and sat in church most Sunday mornings.

Happier? Not really, probably about the same.
Richer? HAHAHA! No.
Thinner? Yes. But barely.
Proud of myself? Absolutely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Kind of Life Do You Want

 What Kind of Life Do You Want: A Midlife Crisis Exercise I want a comfortable life.        I want air-conditioning when it's hot and I want hot water in my shower and I want soft pillows on my bed. I want a life of community.     I want to volunteer at the food pantry and sing in the church choir and serve on a municipal parks board. I want a life of connection.     I want to be a healthy, safe mother to my son and a support to my partner and I want strong relationships with my family of origin. I want a life of wellness.     I want to get enough sleep and eat enough vegetables and drink enough water and move my body in ways that feel good. I want a life of growth.     I want to learn new things and visit new places and learn new skills.

2021 Recap

  In 2021 I ….. worked (a lot) as a librarian and a manager as my workplace went through a number of transitions to move us back towards pre-covid services. For a while A LOT of people yelled at me about masks but it was OVERALL a pretty good year at work.   traveled to Chicago with my husband. got COVID when my child brought it home from school and shared it with his parents. We are all vaccinated so our cases were extremely mild and the biggest stressors were figuring testing and deciding how long to quarantine. went to Houston to celebrate Aunt Patty’s retirement.     hung out with my sister… took Ledger to a baseball game and to play racquetball and to Waco and to downtown Dallas and to school. had a girls weekend in Walnut Springs.   watched my son get Baptized and Confirmed (sobbing).  slept in my office to be on firewatch while the electricity was out at the library!   got a new dishwasher and a new hot water heater!   spent all my leisure time covered in puppies. took my kid to

2021 Goals!

 In 2021:  I would like to continue making food choices that meet my body's needs.  More vegetables and water, less carbs and candy.   About the same amount of tea. I would like to read 100 books! I would like to visit a new state. I would like to go on a real date with my husband once a month. I would like to visit 5 state parks with Ledger. I'd like to spend more time laughing with my son, less time talking AT him. I'd like to spend more time celebrating my gifts, less time worrying. I'd like to spend more time listening, less time talking. I'd like to spend more time reading, less time watching Chopped. Naps and volunteering and engaging with my community.    Hugs and snuggles and long walks with the dogs. No one gets sick, everyone stays happy and engaged at school and work, no one dies.   Let's Go.